Hosted by Rufus Wainwright, the Canadian Opera Company will be hosting it’s first “Centre Stage” gala on November 26, 2013 at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. The focus of this inaugural gala will be on the 3rd annual Ensemble Studio Competition where the talent from rising stars will shine.
Out of a pool of 155 young aspiring artists, the 9 finalists will be competing for cash prizes from $1,500 to $5,000.
The 9 young finalists featured in the 2013 vocal competition are:
- soprano Karine Boucher (Quebec City, QC)
- mezzo-sopranoEmma Char (Kitchener, Ont.)
- mezzo-soprano Francesca Corrado (Vancouver, B.C.)
- tenor Jean-Philippe Fortier-Lazure(Kitchener, Ont.)
- bass-baritone Nathan Keoughan (Charlottetown, P.E.I.)
- bass-baritone Iain MacNeil (Brockville, Ont.)
- tenor Jean-Michel Richer (Montreal, QC)
- soprano Lara Secord-Haid(Winnipeg, Man.)
- mezzo-soprano Rachel Wood (London, Ont.)
While staying true to the history of opera, It’s great to see the COC staying modern and adapting to changing times from the rock-opera hybrids at the annual Operanation gala and now to the Canadian Idol theme of cultivating and showcasing talent at the new Centre Stage gala.
Tickets to see the competition are $100 for orchestra seating only. For more info visit the COC’s Centre Stage website here.
At the Canadian Opera Company’s 10th Operanation gala