Words and photos by Nick Lee
The Drake Hotel was the scene for the sold-out exclusive 5-course Spirited Bourbon dinner with special guest: Jim Beam’s great grandson, Master Distiller Fred Noe III from Kentucky. There was also Master Bourbon ambassador, Adam Harris from Austin Texas. It was Fred Noe’s second trip to Toronto in 15 years and Adam Harris’ first trip.
The 5 courses with bourbon pairings included:
1. East Coast Oyster topped with Jim Beam jelly – paired with Jim Beam
2. Devil’s Cut marinated pork belly with snow pea leaves, oyster mushroom and scallion ginger sauce – paired with Devil’s Cut
3. 72 hour basil, Hayden’s short ribs with charred green onions, red potato and creme fraiche – paired with Knob Creek
4. Aged Thunder Oak gouda cheese with wild roast toast and Knob Creek fig jam – paired with Booker’s
5. Drake Sundae with banana, milk chocolate ice cream, sour cherries with Booker’s Chantilly topped with peanuts paired with Basil Hayden’s
Guests for this exclusive ticketed event enjoyed spirited bourbon, food and stories about the history of Bourbon dating back to 1795 and the Beam family. Guests of this dinner also received complimentary tickets to the next evening’s Spirits Confidential event at Evergreen Brickworks. See our coverage of the event here.
Matt Morgan strummed his guitar and crooned us to further enrich the dining experience with the Southern touch. It was a lot of food with a lot of bourbon pairings. Servings were proportioned just right to pace ourselves through the entire dinner and the refreshing Drake Hotel bourbon cocktails were a bonus, too. The bourbon marinated pork belly was succulent and the Drake Sundae with rich liquored sour cherries was a great finish to a great evening. Special thanks to Matt Jones for hosting this special experience. Looking forward to more great things to come from Toronto’s own Whisky Chef.