As a nod back to the late ’90s, the original King West hotspot, “WEST” is back – the one that started all the King West liveliness. So now in 2014 it’s thoughtfully re-imagined with a group of savvy owners including Glen Baxter to cater to the mature social scene in Toronto.
** WEST BAR IS NOW CLOSED **
With the entrance in an alleyway east of Cibo Wine Bar, one cannot simply just stumble into WEST by accident – at least until the patio is set up. So while it unofficially opened in April (and set to officially open on May 28th), you have to be going there with a purpose. And that’s the point as the space will cater to a more mature crowd of 25 years and above.
“Many fashion designers I have known over the years started off by making clothes for themselves to wear,” said Glen Baxter, Co-Founder, WEST. “Then their friends would ask them to make them outfits. A full collection and label bearing their name would later follow. Similarly, we decided to design and create a bar for ourselves and our friends to enjoy. All the partners at WEST are of a certain age and demographic, but we still like to go out. There just weren’t too many options out there for us in Toronto, until now.”
Partners involved with WEST include:
- Marc Kyriacou (original WEST designers, MarcKyr Inc.)
- Glen Baxter (Toronto fashion personality and journalist)
- Gil and Nina Huber (wealth management and interior design couple)
- Steven Doussis (Soho House, Spoke Club & Blowfish) current General Manager
More facts about WEST
- 4,500 sq. ft. with a 250 capacity; 90 capacity patio to be opened soon
- ‘Cinq à sept’ mature, affluent crowd; open late for tapas, cocktails and dancing
- Open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
- WEST is also available for functions on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday
- The original four founders live one block from WEST
- All WEST staff are dressed in Canadian fashion available at Gotstyle including Joeffer Caoc, Bazzul, Cuchara, Haight & Ashbury
Here’s how WEST looked like in 2001 (photos courtesy of WEST)
Here are my photos from the new WEST