Running seems to be the ‘it’ sport in Toronto this year. So many are talking about training for at least one race this season, which is great because many of the runs benefit a great cause. If you’ve already signed up for a run or are interested in partaking, there’s a unique running experience right around the corner: Red Bull’s, one-of-a-kind, Wings for Life World Run on May 3rd 2015 in Niagara Falls. Registration closes on April 28th, so if you like the sound of this, don’t wait, SIGN UP HERE.
- No Finish Line: don’t freak out, you’ll stop running eventually… when a car catches up to you. So cool, and don’t worry you do get a head start!
- Global Start: people in 33 countries and 35 cities around the world start at exactly the same time – 11:00 AM UTC. For those running in Niagara Falls, our start will be 7AM, while for those starting in Dubai, it’s 3PM (holy heat!), and in Melbourne Australia start is at 9PM. For all the participating cities, visit here.
How It Works:
- 30 minutes after participants start, Red Bull launches a car chaser driving pretty slowly that eventually catches up to every runner. The last runner caught wins.
- Once the car catches you, you’ll be brought back to the start of the race and partake in watching thousands of runners around the world who are still running, until the final runner is caught.
- Don’t be scared off by the Red Bull tag – there will be no backflips on dirtbikes, skydiving from space, or other extreme stuff they are often known for. It is simply a unique, participant-friendly event that they are hosting to support a great cause.
How To Train:
- Download Wings for Life Car Catcher app (iOS and Android) that simulates the car chasing you, tracks your training and shares the results on social media.
- Spinal cord research hence “Run for Those Who Can’t”
- In certain cities, the race is accessible in wheelchairs, including Niagara Falls, and kids. Personally, this is my most favourite part of this run.
- $60.00 – 100% of the entry fee goes to projects aimed at healing the spinal cord injuries via Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation that invests an amount equal to the value of entry fees, net of VAT, to spinal cord research projects.
REGISTRATION CLOSES APRIL 28!
REGISTER HERE and experience not only a super unique way of a running race but enjoy the day outside in Niagara Falls (I’m sure it’s been a while since you visited last) and feel awesome running for those who can’t with so many others all around the world!
Check out what it’s like living with a spinal cord injury:
Photos courtesy of Red Bull